The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 29 November 2020 – A Serious Warning!
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: A Serious Warning!
Read: Romans 13: 8-14 (NKJV)
- Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.
- For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if [there is] any other commandment, are [all] summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
- Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love [is] the fulfillment of the law.
- And [do] this, knowing the time, that now [it is] high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation [is] nearer than when we [first] believed.
- The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.
- Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy.
- But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to [fulfill its] lusts.
A story was told of an elderly man who discovered from his balcony at about 4.30 am, that a raging storm had destroyed part of a heavy traffic bridge during the night. Alarmed, he ran into the heavy downpour with his hurricane lamp to warn of the danger ahead. But alas! He was ignored. He watched in horror, as each passing car crashed to their death. His old age and the piercing cold notwithstanding, he kept on urging the cars to stop. Much later, a pastor’s family who recognized him stopped to ‘offer help’ to the old man who could barely manage to warn of the broken bridge before he fainted from the cold. It was the Pastor who now joined to stop others and helped resuscitate him. Unfortunately, many needless tragedies had already occurred. Similarly, there are countless many today who are ‘driving’ into a Christless eternity!
As we another celebrate Advent Sunday, the warning by Paul in today’s text offers us fresh opportunity. Read verses 11-14 again and identify the warnings! Wake up! Your salvation is nearer now (Jesus’ coming is near)! ‘The day is at hand’ (time is almost up!). Behave decently! Stop carousing! Drunkenness is risky! Stop feeding the flesh! As you’re reading this, are you possibly guilty of any of these? Then the warning is for you!
PRAYER: Lord, please help me to heed your timely warnings.