Topic: One Thing Is Needful [Open Heavens for Teens 23 November 2020]
Click HERE for Previous Open Heaven Devotional for Teens
Memorise: Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11
Read: Luke 10:38-42
- Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
- And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word.
- But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
- And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
- But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 29-31; James 5:1-20
There are a lot of lessons to be learnt from our Bible passage for today. The most important lesson however, is the necessity of the word of God. It is unfortunate that people would rather come to church service to show off their beautiful clothes or designer shoes. Some would come and play with their phones till the end of the service. Some others see service days as a time to catch up with gists from their friends and when the service is in a big venue like the Redemption Camp, some would prefer to walk about and some other persons would even sleep while the service is ongoing.
Jesus Christ paid Martha and her sister Mary a visit. Martha went about preparing food to entertain Jesus while Mary sat quietly with Him and listened to His teachings. Martha then complained about Marys attitude and Jesus had to tell Martha that while its good you are trying to make me comfortable, one thing is needful-the word. What do you when it is time to listen to the word of God? What is your attitude towards the word of God? Do you patiently listen? Dont ever form busy while the service is ongoing. Patiently participate when necessary with a ready heart to receive Gods word and then obey it.
The word of God is needful to live a successful life.
Hymn: I’m Pressing On The Upward Way
- I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I onward bound,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground”.
Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith on heaven’s table-land;
Where love and joy and light abound,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
- My heart has no desire to stay,
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound,
My constant aim is higher ground.
- Beyond the mist I fain would rise,
To rest beneath unclouded skies,
Above earth’s turmoil peace is found
By those who dwell on higher ground.
- I long to scale the utmost height,
Though rough the way, and hard the fight,
My song while climbing shall resound
Lord lead me on to higher ground.
- Lord lead me up the mountain side,
I dare not climb without my Guide;
And heaven gained, I’ll gaze around,
With grateful heart from higher ground.
Daily Devotional for Teen’s guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.