The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 7 November 2020 – The Efficacy Of The New Covenant
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: The Efficacy Of The New Covenant
Read: Hebrew 9:11-22 (NKJV)
- But Christ came [as] High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation.
- Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
- For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh,
- how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
- And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.
- For where there [is] a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
- For a testament [is] in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives.
- Therefore not even the first [covenant] was dedicated without blood.
- For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people,
- saying, “This [is] the blood of the covenant which God has commanded you.”
- Then likewise he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle and all the vessels of the ministry.
- And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
The Old Covenant brought relief to those who were under it such as the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctified by the purifying of the flesh. It was a vicious cycle undergone by the patriarchs of old. One wonders how many individuals and families these days can afford these and the monotony associated with it. It was so obvious that there was a need for a more excellent way by which humanity would be salvaged and this would not be possible without the shedding of blood (verse 22)
Christ came as a High Priest of good things to come by a greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands. The blood of Christ through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God and has the efficacy of purging our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. Jesus by His sacrificial death became the mediator of the New Covenant such that those who were bowed down by sins and transgressions have the hope to receive the eternal promises of God once and for all. No wonder the scriptures say that there is no name given among men whereby we can be saved except by the name of Jesus (Acts 4:12).
PRAYER: Lord thank You for the excellent way that is provided for us in Christ. Help me to be always satisfied in You.