The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 18 October 2020 – Live In The Spirit And Not In The Flesh
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: Live In The Spirit And Not In The Flesh
Read: Romans 8:12-17 (NKJV)
- Therefore, brethren, we are debtors — not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.
- For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
- For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
- For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”
- The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
- and if children, then heirs – heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with [Him,] that we may also be glorified together.
The Spirit of God is given to us as a guarantee that God means everything He has told us. If someone presents a guarantee for a pledge, it is taken as done. The Spirit of God occupies a very important place in our relationship with Him. The ability to subdue the flesh to God’s pleasing comes from the Spirit; no man who does not have the Spirit of God will be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. In Luke chapter 4, Jesus filled with the Spirit, was led into the wilderness by the same Spirit and when temptation arose from the devil, the Spirit helped Him to overcome.
The flesh is weak with evil tendencies and any Christian who allows the flesh to take upper hand in his life will come to frustration. If we submit to the purging power of the word of God through His Spirit, our Christian lives will be fruitful. Then can we have this witness within our hearts, that we are truly children of God! The Spirit of God strengthens our hearts and resolution in the midst of sufferings associated with our faith. Therefore, if we must share in the glory that will be revealed when Jesus comes, we must allow the Spirit of God in us to subdue the nudging of the flesh.
PRAYER: Lord, may the power of the Holy Spirit manifest greatly in my Christian life, Amen.