The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 16 October 2020 – Vanity
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Read: Ecclesiastes 12:1-8 (NKJV)
- Remember now your in the days of your youth, Before the difficult days come, And the years draw near when you say, “I have no pleasure in them”:
- While the sun and the light, The moon and the stars, Are not darkened, And the clouds do not return after the rain;
- In the day when the keepers of the house tremble, And the strong men bow down; When the grinders cease because they are few, And those that look through the windows grow dim;
- When the doors are shut in the streets, And the sound of grinding is low; When one rises up at the sound of a bird, And all the daughters of music are brought low;
- Also they are afraid of height, And of terrors in the way; When the almond tree blossoms, The grasshopper is a burden, And desire fails. For man goes to his eternal home, And the mourners go about the streets.
- [Remember your Creator] before the silver cord is loosed, Or the golden bowl is broken, Or the pitcher shattered at the fountain, Or the wheel broken at the well.
- Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, And the spirit will return to God who gave it.
- “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher, “All [is] vanity.”
An oldman on his sick bed was surrounded by his children. Knowing that their father had little chance of recovering according to medical advice, they all cried. The man looked at his children and said, “Don’t weep for me for I am already an old man. I drove the best of cars, built and lived in the best of houses, and had fun all my life.” As good and consoling as this may have appeared to his hearers, he failed to mention the most important thing as far as God is concerned – true service to the Almighty God and the hope of an eternal home in heaven.
At the bloom of life, we are filled with strength to do most of the biddings of our hearts: Get married, build houses, train children, buy cars and travel around the world. These things are good, but do not last.
That which lasts and bears eternal consequence should form the basis of our decisions. A great reward awaits people who serve God in truth and Spirit. For this reason therefore, we must take a decision today to not only work for God but also walk with Him in order to secure a glorious eternity.
PRAYER: Lord, please help me not to be distracted from You by the vanities of this life.