The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 1 October 2020 – Amazed At God’s Handiwork
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: Amazed At God’s Handiwork
Read: Psalm 126 (NKJV)
- A Song of Ascents. When the LORD brought back the captivity of Zion, We were like those who dream.
- Then our mouth was filled with laughter, And our tongue with singing. Then they said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them.”
- The LORD has done great things for us, [And] we are glad.
- Bring back our captivity, O LORD, As the streams in the South.
- Those who sow in tears Shall reap in joy.
- He who continually goes forth weeping, Bearing seed for sowing, Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, Bringing his sheaves [with him.]
The Psalmist sang of a time when God’s people were freed from their captivity, and they were restored to Jerusalem (Zion). Most scholars associate this Psalm with the return from exile under Ezra and Nehemiah. He illustrated his contentment, gratefulness, astonishment at the awesome display of God’s power and goodness in bringing back His people from the captivity. It seemed too good and great to be true, but it was true. The people knew about the promises of restoration, but when the actual moment of restoration came, it was an overwhelming experience. They celebrated God’s amazing work with laughter and singing.This sense of joyful amazement was not confined to the people of God. Other nations affirmed that Yahweh in His greatness could only do this. They accepted it, emphasized on it repeatedly, and personalised it. It became the declaration of what God had done for them!
The Psalmist prayed for continued deliverance and for God to further the work of restoration among His people. He reminded himself and all of us that great joy is often preceded by a season of tears. As God delivered the people and turned their sorrows into joy, so will God visit you with amazing grace (Psalm 30:5b)
PRAYER: My Father, over turn and break every captivity in my life, family and nation; deliver me and this nation from the captivity of them that are too strong for us; fill my mouth and that of this nation with laughter and make Your name glorious in my life and in my country.