The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 30 September 2020 – Anger Rests In The Bosom Of Fools
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: Anger Rests In The Bosom Of Fools
Read: Ecclesiastes 7:1-12 (NKJV)
- A good name [is] better than precious ointment, And the day of death than the day of one’s birth;
- Better to go to the house of mourning Than to go to the house of feasting, For that [is] the end of all men; And the living will take [it] to heart.
- Sorrow [is] better than laughter, For by a sad countenance the heart is made better.
- The heart of the wise [is] in the house of mourning, But the heart of fools [is] in the house of mirth.
- [It is] better to hear the rebuke of the wise Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
- For like the crackling of thorns under a pot, So [is] the laughter of the fool. This also is vanity.
- Surely oppression destroys a wise [man’s] reason, And a bribe debases the heart.
- The end of a thing [is] better than its beginning; The patient in spirit [is] better than the proud in spirit.
- Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, For anger rests in the bosom of fools.
- Do not say, “Why were the former days better than these?” For you do not inquire wisely concerning this.
- Wisdom [is] good with an inheritance, And profitable to those who see the sun.
- For wisdom [is] a defense [as] money [is] a defense, But the excellence of knowledge [is that] wisdom gives life to those who have it.
The Bible speaks extensively on the subject of anger. In our passage today, we read “Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, for anger rests in the bosom of fools” (verse 9). Anger is a destroyer of destiny; it worked against Moses and prevented him from entering into the Promised Land. A man who is always angry cannot express the love of God meaningfully. The Bible confronts us this day that anger rests in the bosom of fools. Anger is so destructive to the extent that it can rob one of entering into the kingdom of God (Galatians 5:20). A man who is given to anger can destroy in a minute what was built in fifty years or more.
Beloved, there are cases of people who in the heat of their anger, killed their family members, friends or colleagues at work. Some have torn friendship of many years apart while some others have broken long existing fellowships. There are cases of children who maim or kill their parents and some deliberately destroy property bequeathed to them by their forebears. Anger is terrible – only a foolish man will entertain it. The Bible says “Be angry, and do not sin. Do not let the sun go down on your wrath” (Ephesians 4:26). As a child of God, do not let the devil rob you of your destiny through uncontrolled anger. Be aware that anger is a weapon of destruction in the hands of the enemy. May the Lord give you grace to overcome it.
PRAYER: Dear Father in heaven, I ask You for grace to do away with anger completely, in Jesus name. Amen.