The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 24 September 2020 – Be A True Companion
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: Be A True Companion
Read: Ecclesiastes 4:9-16 (NKJV)
- Two [are] better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor.
- For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him [who is] alone when he falls, For [he has] no one to help him up.
- Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; But how can one be warm [alone?]
- Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
- Better a poor and wise youth Than an old and foolish king who will be admonished no more.
- For he comes out of prison to be king, Although he was born poor in his kingdom.
- I saw all the living who walk under the sun; They were with the second youth who stands in his place.
- [There was] no end of all the people over whom he was made king; Yet those who come afterward will not rejoice in him. Surely this also [is] vanity and grasping for the wind.
Our passage today focuses among other things, on companionship. A companion is an available assistant with a defined relationship. He is a suitable helper at every point in time. The Bible says “Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up”(verses 9-10).
Similarly, in Genesis 2:18, the Bible says “And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” God is the Author of companionship; He is always interested in providing helping hands for man and has a desire to see His children grow up in fellowship with one another. As a matter of fact, no human being can survive without others. Even the director of an organisation needs the support of other workers including the cleaner.
Though God established companionship for mutual understanding and growth of human beings, there are betrayals all over the place. Marriages have shattered because one partner failed to do what must be done to foster peace and progress; friendships have been broken because of unfaithfulness. Prophet Amos says “Can two work together except they agree?” (Amos 3:3). Agreement is very key in being a faithful and true companion. Determine to be a true companion in your marriage, business and family, even when situations are not favourable. Psalm 133:1 says “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!” Be a trustworthy companion.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, make me a true, faithful and dependable companion, in Jesus name. Amen.