The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 14 September 2020 – Obedience Brings Glory
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: Obedience Brings Glory
Read: Philippians 2:5-11 (NKJV)
- Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
- who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
- but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, [and] coming in the likeness of men.
- And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to [the point of] death, even the death of the cross.
- Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,
- that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
- and [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Rose of Lima once said, “Apart from the cross, there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven.” Cross is symbolic to Christianity. Today commemorates the recovery of the Holy Cross which had been placed on Mt. Calvary by St Helena and preserved in Jerusalem but had fallen into the hands of Chosroas, King of the Persians. The precious relic was recovered and returned to Jerusalem by Emperor Heralius in 629 AD. In verse 8, Christ humbled Himself from the glorious and divine form to human form, in order to die for sinful and corrupt mankind. He did it in obedience to His Father’s will.
To follow Christ, you too must be ready to obey Him even unto suffering (Hebrews 12:4). When you identify with Christ on the cross, sharing in His suffering through obedience, then you share in His glory. The opportunity to glorify God by our obedience should be one of our compelling motives for living. Some people find it difficult to obey simple and godly instructions from their parents, superiors, doctors, teachers, and pastors. But we must remember that these are also messengers from God to guide us through life. For you to glorify God, there is no other way than to be obedient to Jesus Christ. Your steps in obedience, though tough to follow through, will bring glory to God and upliftment to you.
PRAYER: Lord, help me to be obedient to Your commands no matter what it may take, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.