The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 11 September 2020 – The Secret Of True Wisdom
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: The Secret Of True Wisdom
Read: Proverbs 1:1-7 (NKJV)
- The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel:
- To know wisdom and instruction, To perceive the words of understanding,
- To receive the instruction of wisdom, Justice, judgment, and equity;
- To give prudence to the simple, To the young man knowledge and discretion —
- A wise [man] will hear and increase learning, And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
- To understand a proverb and an enigma, The words of the wise and their riddles.
- The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of then knowledge, [But] fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Wisdom has been defined as the application of knowledge, but not just application of knowledge but the right application of knowledge. For instance in I Samuel 3, when king Saul had waited for Samuel for seven days according to his (Samuel’s) word, the Philistines were already advancing against them and many of his people had deserted him as a result of not seeing who was to offer the sacrifice, Saul then applied his human wisdom which seemed to be reasonable and good. James 4:17 says, “But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, without uncertainty.’’
The instruction provided in the Book of Proverbs is to provide us with wisdom with which to handle the everyday affairs of life. Verse 7 of our text reveals to us that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, to fear God is to obey Him completely, that is the secret. It is not just to have the knowledge of what to do but doing it with the fear of God. Saul hardly finished with the offering of the sacrifice when Samuel arrived, what a tragedy! He was regarded as a fool and a disobedient fellow and this cost him and his lineage eternal regret. One guiding principle for finding true wisdom is to have the fear of the Lord. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.
PRAYER: God of covenant, You promised in Your word that whosoever lacks wisdom should ask, I pray that You guide me through Your wisdom to handle the affairs of my life in accordance with Your will, in Jesus name. Amen.