The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 9 September 2020 – The Day Of The Lord(1)
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: The Day Of The Lord(1)
Read: Zechariah 14:1-9 (NKJV)
- Behold, the day of the LORD is coming, And your spoil will be divided in your midst.
- For I will gather all the nations to battle against Jerusalem; The city shall be taken, The houses rifled, And the women ravished. Half of the city shall go into captivity, But the remnant of the people shall not be cut off from the city.
- Then the LORD will go forth And fight against those nations, As He fights in the day of battle.
- And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, Which faces Jerusalem on the east. And the Mount of Olives shall be split in two, From east to west, [Making] a very large valley; Half of the mountain shall move toward the north And half of it toward the south.
- Then you shall flee [through] My mountain valley, For the mountain valley shall reach to Azal. Yes, you shall flee As you fled from the earthquake In the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Thus the LORD my God will come, [And] all the saints with You.
- It shall come to pass in that day [That] there will be no light; The lights will diminish.
- It shall be one day Which is known to the LORD — Neither day nor night. But at evening time it shall happen [That] it will be light.
- And in that day it shall be [That] living waters shall flow from Jerusalem, Half of them toward the eastern sea And half of them toward the western sea; In both summer and winter it shall occur.
- And the LORD shall be King over all the earth. In that day it shall be — “The LORD [is] one,” And His name one.
The book of Zechariah 14 is an archetype of the Gospel according to St Matthew chapter 24 which revealed that The Day of the Lord would be full of surprises and mixed-feelings. It would be a day of wrath and fierce anger, and everyone would be judged accordingly (v.1; Isa. 13:9; Matt. 24:2). Then, everyone would be gathered under a clarion call unto Jerusalem and be dealt with in cruelty. It would relay rapture experiences as there would be two divides where the godly (the saints) would be called up unto the Lord Jesus (vs. 3-5). No one would be unaware of this great event (Matt. 24:23-27). That day, there won’t be light neither would there be any form of darkness (vs. 6-7; Acts 2:20). That day would completely and exclusively be handled by the Lord Jesus (vs. 8, 9; Rev. 11:15).
Beloved, we will not need the assistance of a chief justice to determine the rightness or otherwise of an action. Every soul and action will be handled by Jesus alone who will give to everyone according to his deeds. It is going to be a day of separation between two different attitudes and lifestyles (Matt. 24:38-43). Only the prepared will not gnash their teeth in regret. How prepared are you for this great day?
PRAYER: Lord, help me to remember that whatever I do today will be brought to judgment one day, and grant me repentant heart where necessary. Amen