The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 8 September 2020 – Humility
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Read: Luke 1:39-56 (NKJV)
- Now Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, to a city of Judah,
- and entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth.
- And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed [are] you among women, and blessed [is] the fruit of your womb!
- “But why [is] this [granted] to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
- “For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
- “Blessed [is] she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord.”
- And Mary said: “My soul magnifies the Lord,
- And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
- For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
- For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy [is] His name.
- And His mercy [is] on those who fear Him From generation to generation.
- He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered [the] proud in the imagination of their hearts.
- He has put down the mighty from [their] thrones, And exalted [the] lowly.
- He has filled [the] hungry with good things, And [the] rich He has sent away empty.
- He has helped His servant Israel, In remembrance of [His] mercy,
- As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and to his seed forever.”
- And Mary remained with her about three months, and returned to her house.
Today is the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Christians in the East and West commemorate the birth of Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ. One of her virtues was humility, the quality of not thinking that you are better than others. Humility and submission go hand in hand. The Bible consistently condemns pride and arrogance (James 4:6). If a person is full of himself or herself, God won’t be able to use him/her for His glory. Every servant of God in the Bible was humble- God works only with the humble. A person, who sees himself or herself to be more important than others, would not be able to completely do the will of God. In verse 48, Mary humbled herself before God. Though she was nobody in the eyes of men, she was somebody in the eyes of God. Truly, our worth is found in God’s eyes. How people judge us is nothing compared to how we stand with God. At the end of the day, it is what God thinks of us that really matters.
As a Christian, you are to seek to please God with your life. You need to fear Him and keep His words. This should be your focus; to humble yourself under God’s will; to live to please Him and keep His commands and not to try to meet human demands and expectations. Finally, you should be humble in dealing with others no matter the position we occupy (Philippians 2:1-11).
PRAYER:” Dear Lord, grant me the grace to be humble in every situation through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.