The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 6 September 2020 – Present Suffering And The Future Glory
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: Present Suffering And The Future Glory
Read: Romans 8:18-23 (NKJV)
- For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy [to be compared] with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
- For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God.
- For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected [it] in hope;
- because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
- For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now.
- Not only [that,] but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.
The saying, ‘No cross, no crown,’ is clearly in relation to the suffering of our Lord Jesus before and on the cross; and then the joy of the resurrection, ascension and the glory that followed. And if the words, ‘a servant is not greater that his master’ is anything to go by, evidently, the followers of Jesus Christ have no shorter way to glory than to suffer in relation to the cross. To this end, the apostle Paul having considered and estimated the value of the suffering of the present time and the glory that would follow, came to this conclusion: the suffering and the glory are not of the same value. Though the suffering may be painful and even excruciating and appear unbearable for the present, there is a future glory, which value is far higher that the pains presently experienced.
The experience of the suffering varies from person to person across the globe. We may then ask, ‘What are you presently experiencing? What pains have come to you in relation to your Christian faith or as it befalls men? Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, and is set at the right hand of God. Carry on in Christ, the joy to come will justify the suffering experienced.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, when I am going through challenges, help me to retain in my mind the value of the glory that far outweighs the present suffering. Amen.