The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 31 August 2020 – God Protects His Children Jealously But Fights His Enemies Brutally
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: God Protects His Children Jealously But Fights His Enemies Brutally
Read: Zechariah 9:1-10 (NKJV)
- The burden of the word of the LORD Against the land of Hadrach, And Damascus its resting place (For the eyes of men And all the tribes of Israel Are on the LORD);
- Also [against] Hamath, [which] borders on it, And [against] Tyre and Sidon, though they are very wise.
- For Tyre built herself a tower, Heaped up silver like the dust, And gold like the mire of the streets.
- Behold, the LORD will cast her out; He will destroy her power in the sea, And she will be devoured by fire.
- Ashkelon shall see [it] and fear; Gaza also shall be very sorrowful; And Ekron, for He dried up her expectation. The king shall perish from Gaza, And Ashkelon shall not be inhabited.
- “A mixed race shall settle in Ashdod, And I will cut off the pride of the Philistines.
- I will take away the blood from his mouth, And the abominations from between his teeth. But he who remains, even he [shall be] for our God, And shall be like a leader in Judah, And Ekron like a Jebusite.
- I will camp around My house Because of the army, Because of him who passes by and him who returns. No more shall an oppressor pass through them, For now I have seen with My eyes.
- ” Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; He [is] just and having salvation, Lowly and riding on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey.
- I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim And the horse from Jerusalem; The battle bow shall be cut off. He shall speak peace to the nations; His dominion [shall be] ‘from sea to sea, And from the River to the ends of the earth.’
Our passage today opens with God’s message of deliverance and hope to His people. He was ready to defend His people by attacking and destroying their enemy nations. These nations were pagan and idolatrous in Israelite times. They, of course, represented the force of paganism and idolatry, had surrounded the people of God and were set to destroy them. The Lord therefore was ready to destroy them totally, even the strongest of them. God, out of magnanimity, promised to adopt some of those who survived His wrath. They would be taught the will of God and become very useful to him and even serve among His people, Israel.
God assures us through His word this moment that He is ever ready to protect His own jealously and destroy any force that dares to harm His children. He promises to encamp round His people against the enemy and also welcome whoever repents and turns from being His enemy. He gives assurances to make the repentant His children and even use them to a great extent. Therefore, remember that formerly you … are Gentiles by birth and called uncircumcision … But now … have been brought near through the blood of Christ (Ephesians.12:11-13). If you are His child, then claim His protection upon your life. But if you are not yet a child of God, you are God’s enemy. You need to repent of your sins and turn to God through Jesus Christ. He will save your soul, abundantly pardon and make you His useful child.
PRAYER: Dear God, I surrender my life anew to You today, cleanse me and continue to grant me Your divine protection and victory in Jesus’ name.