The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 26 August 2020 – God Of Vengeance And Purpose
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC: God Of Vengeance And Purpose
Read: Zechariah 6:1-10 (NKJV)
- Then I turned and raised my eyes and looked, and behold, four chariots [were] coming from between two mountains, and the mountains [were] mountains of bronze.
- With the first chariot [were] red horses, with the second chariot black horses,
- with the third chariot white horses, and with the fourth chariot dappled horses — strong [steeds.]
- Then I answered and said to the angel who talked with me, “What [are] these, my lord?”
- And the angel answered and said to me, “These [are] four spirits of heaven, who go out from [their] station before the Lord of all the earth.
- “The one with the black horses is going to the north country, the white are going after them, and the dappled are going toward the south country.”
- Then the strong [steeds] went out, eager to go, that they might walk to and fro throughout the earth. And He said, “Go, walk to and fro throughout the earth.” So they walked to and fro throughout the earth.
- And He called to me, and spoke to me, saying, “See, those who go toward the north country have given rest to My Spirit in the north country.”
- Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying:
- “Receive [the gift] from the captives — from Heldai, Tobijah, and Jedaiah, who have come from Babylon — and go the same day and enter the house of Josiah the son of Zephaniah.
Four chariots driven by horses of different colours going out to execute divine judgement were seen by Zechariah. These spiritual beings were out to carry out God’s purpose just like the horses and their riders were seen by John in Revelation 6 also sent out to execute God’s judgement according to His purpose. The north is particularly mentioned and emphasised as being visited with God’s judgement. The judgement was represented by the black and white horses. The north of Israel was the direction from which most of the enemies of God’s people came. Eventually, God’s Spirit was satisfied because these chariots accomplished their God-given assignment which was His judgement of those nations.
Our passage today is a confirmation of the fact that God will surely visit the enemies of His people and purpose with judgement (2 Thessalonians 1:6-10). As God’s Spirit was satisfied with the accomplished task executed by those chariots, so also will God’s will be perfectly done in the end when the evil kingdom and forces of this world will be destroyed at the Second Coming of Christ. We are therefore warned to refrain from evil works, especially from afflicting the Church of God in any way. This is because God will surely punish those who stand against His will. As children of God, we too need to call on God to stop every evil force attacking our life, family or Church (Ephesians 6:10-18).
PRAYER: Oh God! Fight my battles and destroy every evil force that rises against Your purpose for my life in Jesus’ name.