The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 20 August 2020 – Take Away Your Filthy Garments
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC: Take Away Your Filthy Garments
Read: Zechariah 3:1-7 (NKJV)
- Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to oppose him.
- And the LORD said to Satan, “The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! [Is] this not a brand plucked from the fire?”
- Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and was standing before the Angel.
- Then He answered and spoke to those who stood before Him, saying, “Take away the filthy garments from him.” And to him He said, “See, I have removed your iniquity from you, and I will clothe you with rich robes.”
- And I said, “Let them put a clean turban on his head.” So they put a clean turban on his head, and they put the clothes on him. And the Angel of the LORD stood by.
- Then the Angel of the LORD admonished Joshua, saying,
- “Thus says the LORD of hosts: ‘If you will walk in My ways, And if you will keep My command, Then you shall also judge My house, And likewise have charge of My courts; I will give you places to walk Among these who stand here.
The mission of Joshua the High Priest and his associates was to re-build the broken walls of Jerusalem, the temple and to restore the worship life of the remnants – the Jews who returned to Jerusalem from Babylonian captivity (Haggai 1:1, Haggai 1:12-14 & Haggai 2:4). Zechariah saw in his vision, Joshua the High Priest whom God had ordained to minister in His temple and commissioned to undertake the assignment of rebuilding. He stood before the angel of the Lord and Satan was at his right hand accusing him (verse 1). Satan gained access to the life of Joshua through the filthy garments on him (verse 3). However, the Lord of hosts who chose him to be His vessel helped him by rebuking Satan and commanding that the filthy garments (substance of his functionality) be replaced with clean vestments for him to be effective and efficient in his assignment (verse 4).
Beloved, the filthy garments in your life may be the sin of pride, hypocrisy, malice, wrong association, lukewarmness, drunkenness or idolatry. They are stumbling blocks to your stardom. God has ordained you to fulfil destiny; to be great, prosperous and progressive in life as His chosen generation (1 Peter 2:9-10). But as long as those garments are still on you, it will be difficult to fulfil your purpose in life. Are you struggling with these garments? Be determined today to do away with those sins. God is ever ready to help you remove those garments of sin, if only you can turn to Him today with a penitent heart and submit to Christ’s authority by obeying His commandments.
PRAYER: O Lord, take away from me today all the garments of sin, in Jesus’ name. Amen.