The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 8 August 2020 – Be Determined
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC: Be Determined
Read: ACTS 21:1-16 (NKJV)
- Now it came to pass, that when we had departed from them and set sail, running a straight course we came to Cos, the following [day] to Rhodes, and from there to Patara.
- And finding a ship sailing over to Phoenicia, we went aboard and set sail.
- When we had sighted Cyprus, we passed it on the left, sailed to Syria, and landed at Tyre; for there the ship was to unload her cargo.
- And finding disciples, we stayed there seven days. They told Paul through the Spirit not to go up to Jerusalem.
- When we had come to the end of those days, we departed and went on our way; and they all accompanied us, with wives and children, till [we were] out of the city. And we knelt down on the shore and prayed.
- When we had taken our leave of one another, we boarded the ship, and they returned home.
- And when we had finished [our] voyage from Tyre, we came to Ptolemais, greeted the brethren, and stayed with them one day.
- On the next [day] we who were Paul’s companions departed and came to Caesarea, and entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was [one] of the seven, and stayed with him.
- Now this man had four virgin daughters who prophesied.
- And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea.
- When he had come to us, he took Paul’s belt, bound his [own] hands and feet, and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver [him] into the hands of the Gentiles.’ “
- Now when we heard these things, both we and those from that place pleaded with him not to go up to Jerusalem.
- Then Paul answered, “What do you mean by weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.”
- So when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, “The will of the Lord be done.”
- And after those days we packed and went up to Jerusalem.
- Also some of the disciples from Caesarea went with us and brought with them a certain Mnason of Cyprus, an early disciple, with whom we were to lodge.
Paul knew he would be imprisoned in Jerusalem and his friends pleaded with him not to go there because of the prophecy by the prophet, Agabus. However, Paul determined to go; he knew full well that God wanted him to go. At the initial stage of Paul’s conversion, he had been told by the Lord Jesus about many things he would suffer. So God had already prepared his heart from the initial stage and Paul would not allow anything to come between him and his obedience to God. Though the prophecy came from the Holy Spirit, Paul understood the prophecy more than the prophet. He knew before this time that he must suffer for Christ.
God also must have spoken to you in the time past about certain issues you need to take a step of faith over, but circumstances surrounding you are holding you back. You are convinced that it is God leading you, but the voices you are hearing are opposed to what God has placed in your heart. What you need to do is to determine to do that which God had laid in your heart. It may be concerning your marital issue, leaving a job for a better one or going into the mission field. Beloved, please take that step of faith and be determined to do the will of God.
PRAYER: Lord, strengthen my spirit to be determined to do Your will, Amen!