The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 17 July 2020 – Lydia’s Changed Heart
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC: Lydia’s Changed Heart
READ: ACTS 16:11-15 (NKJV)
- Therefore, sailing from Troas, we ran a straight course to Samothrace, and the next [day] came to Neapolis,
- and from there to Philippi, which is the foremost city of that part of Macedonia, a colony. And we were staying in that city for some days.
- And on the Sabbath day we went out of the city to the riverside, where prayer was customarily made; and we sat down and spoke to the women who met [there.]
- Now a certain woman named Lydia heard [us.] She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul.
- And when she and her household were baptized, she begged [us,] saying, “If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come to my house and stay.” So she persuaded us.
After listening to Paul by the riverside, God opened Lydia’s heart to the truth of the Gospel and she believed. She and her household were baptised. Lydia was a successful merchant, but she knew there was something much more valuable than money, hence her attending the prayer meeting outside the city. God had prepared her heart and placed her at the right place at the right time, though she may not have realised it. Until God worked to change Lydia’s heart, she was just a religious person, evil and wicked, though she may have done some good things. If God is going to save anyone, He first causes their hearts to be affected by the message of the Gospel, then, their behaviour would follow. When Lydia’s heart was changed, her behaviour fell in line with her heart’s attitude.
Friend, do you realise that the condition of your heart is foundational to your walk with Christ? Perhaps you have just been a religious and God-fearing person as Lydia was before she was saved. You need to have your heart changed by God today, if you must be saved! You need to put your trust in the Lord Jesus to save you from eternal death. It is your responsibility to do so and where you are now is just the right place and time.
PRAYER: Lord, open my heart to heed the Gospel today. Amen.