The Mystery Of Fasting By Pastor D.K Olukoya
Click HERE for Previous MESSAGES by Pastor D.K. Olukoya
SUNDAY WORSHIP SERVICE
JULY 12TH, 2020
SPECIAL LIVE BROADCAST
TOPIC: THE MYSTERY OF FASTING
TEXT: ISAIAH 58:5-7, ZECH. 7:5-6, MATT. 6:17-18
MINISTER: DR. D.K OLUKOYA (G.O MFM WORLDWIDE)
WHAT IS FASTING?
- Fasting is abstaining from food whether completely or partially for a period of time.
Kindly note that food causes a fall of man; the first sin in the Bible was a result of uncontrolled appetite.
May the Lord help us in Jesus’ name.
- Fasting is a period when the Christian abstain from eating in order to spend extra time with God in prayer, studying and meditation.
As you look through the scriptures, you will find so many people who fasted;
- The disciples. Matthew 17:21
- Samuel. 1 Samuel 7:6
- Elijah. 1 Kings 19:4-8
- Paul. Acts 9:9
- John the Baptist. Luke 1:15
- Esther. Esther 4:16, 5:2
- Daniel. Daniel 1 &10
- Jesus. Matthew 4:1-2
There are at least thirty five (35) records of fast by people in the Bible.
- Daniel fasted for 21 days. Daniel 10
- Moses fasted for 40 days. Deut. 9 &10
- Joshua fasted for 40 days. Exo. 24, 32
- Elijah fasted for 40 days. 1 Kings 19
- Jesus fasted for 40 days. Matthew 4
- Paul fasted for 3 days but did a lot more. Acts 9.
REASONS WHY WE SHOULD FAST
- To loose the band of wickedness.
- To release ourselves and others from the bondage of sin and wickedness
- Fasting for deliverance and discipline. (DELIVERANCE + DISCIPLINE = DOMINION) Matthew 17:21
- To undo the heavy burdens
- To solve problems and break stubborn strongholds.
- To let the oppressed go free.
- To break every yoke.
- To share bread with the hungry
- To meet the needs of others. 1 Kings 17:16
- To allow God’s light break forth like in the morning. Isaiah 58:8
- To make the way plain before you as you take crucial decisions
- So that your health shall spring forth.
- For better health and for healing
- So that your righteousness shall go before you.
- So that we should be the proper light of the world.
- So that our lives can positively influence others
- So that the glory of the Lord and His glory will overshadow us.
BIBLICAL PURPOSES OF PRAYER INTERCESSION WITH FASTING
The power of biblical prayer intercession with fasting cannot be overemphasized; it is a weapon against the devil.
- Fasting is done in scripture when facing impossible circumstances. 1 Samuel 31:13
- For repentance both personally and nationally and united with others for a mission. 1 Samuel 7:6, Neh. 9:1, Jonah 3:5
- Fasting is done to enable one hear clearly from God for fresh direction. Ezra 8:21
- To provoke God to move on behalf of others. 2 Chron. 23, Est. 4:16, Dan. 9:3, Job 23:3-5, Isaiah 41:21.
- To petition the Lord. Heb. 5:7, Acts 10:30
- To seek the mind of God. Acts 13:2; 14:23.
- To prepare for ministration for the power of God. Matt. 4:2, Acts 13:3
- For spiritual power. Matt. 17:21, Luke 4:14
- To afflict the soul. Lev. 16:29, Psalm 35:13, Prov. 20:27, 1 Thess. 5:23, Heb. 4:12.
- To deepen humility. Ezra 8:21.
- Fasting increases hunger of God to work.
- Fasting intensifies prayer concentration.
- Fasting solidifies determination.
- Fasting feeds your faith
- It opens you more fully to the spirit working in you.
- Fasting fires up your zeal.
- Fasting is done when under chastening by the Lord. 2 Samuel 12:16
- It is done when someone is under judgment. 1 Kings 21:27
- When one is in danger. Ezekiel 4:16
- Fasting is done when one is worried
- When one is in spiritual conflict. Matt. 4:1-7
- To prepare for spiritual warfare. Matt. 17:21
- To strengthen prayer life. Acts 10:30
- Fasting is done during public calamity.
- When it is desperate in prayer. Acts 9
BENEFITS OF FASTING?
The secret of the power of fasting in 1 Corinthians 9:27, Galatians 5:16-17, Romans 8:7
- Fasting is a means of disciplining the body.
- Fasting is giving the human spirit an opportunity to build up by putting less demand on the flesh.
- Fasting humbles one before God. Psalm 35:13 – One of the best ways to weaken the enemy is to starve the enemy.
- Prayer brings God in, fasting keeps flesh out.
- The human body derives power from all the activities of the power of the human spirit.
- The power needed to effect digestion of food and all other bodily functions is derived from human spirit. This is why a perfectly functioning body stops activity immediately the spirit leaves. James 2:26
- Fasting enables the Christian body to generate and release more spiritual power.
- Therefore beloveth, fasting and prayer serve a bank to generate spiritual power that could be used during emergency when there is no power to pray.
- Fasting gives your digestive system a break
- It is a great cure for unbelief. Matt. 17:14-21
- Jesus did not make fasting optional. Matt. 6:16-18
Joel 1:14; 2:12, 1 Cor. 7:5
- Just as faith needs prayer for development and growth, prayer needs fasting for the same purpose.
- Fasting does wander when in combination with prayer and faith.
- Fasting demonstrates the mastery of man over appetite. Phi. 3:19
- Fasting aids in temptation
- Fasting helps to attain power over the demons.
- Fasting develops faith
- Fasting crucifies unbelief
- The most important aids are fasting and retreat.
- All believers are supposed to fast.
- Fasting makes you closer to the Holy Spirit.
- When God ordained you to fast, something must come out of it. Luke 10:10-14, Matt. 5:20, Luke 18:10-14
People have catogorised fasting into many groups (white fasting, red fasting, dry fast, wet fast, etc) but we do not follow this, we depend on the Holy Spirit.
SCIENTIFIC BENEFITS OF FASTING
- Fasting helps in weight loss
- It makes insulin to become more effective by improving insulin sensitivity.
- It improves metabolism.
- Fasting help in aging; it prolongs your life.
- Fasting can help to improve hunger.
- It can help to improve your eating pattern.
- It can help to improve your brain functions.
- It can improve your immune system
- Fasting helps to clear the skin.
- It promotes blood sugar control.
- It enhances the health of the heart.
- Fasting may aid disease prevention.
- It can enhance the body resistance to stress
- It can help the body to maintain good balance.
- It can protect from some diseases
- It can improve memory.
- It can upgrade your mood.
- It can limit cravings.
WHEN DOES A BELIEVER FAST?
- To chasten your soul. Psalm 69:10
- You fast under chastening like David did. 2 Sam. 12
- To humble the soul. Psalm 35:13.
- Under judgment. 1 Kings 21:27
- To seek the Lord. 2 Chron. 20:3-4
- When you are in need. Ezra 8:21
- To strengthen personal prayer. Acts 10:30
- To express personal repentance. Jonah 3:5-10
- To mortify the flesh.1 Cor. 9:21
- To prepare for spiritual warfare. Matt. 17:19-21
- When you are in danger. Est. 4:15-16
- When you are worried. Dan. 6:18
- When you want to prevent or solve problems. 1 Sam. 12:16
- When you are in trouble. Acts 27:9,33
- During public calamity or national mourning. 2 Sam. 1:12, 1 Sam. 31:13
- To ordain people into ministry. Acts 13:2-3; 14:33
- You fast in spiritual conflict. Matt. 4:1-7; 17:21
- When you notice you are breaking communion with Christ. Matt. 9:15
- When you are desperate in prayer.
TEN (10) THINGS TO ACCOMPANY FASTING
- Abstinence from sexual relationship. 1 Cor. 7:5
- By prayer. Ezra 8:23
- By confession of sin. 1 Samuel 7:6
- By humbling yourself. Deut. 9:18, Neh. 9:1
- Mourning. Joel 2:12
- Personal hygiene. Matt. 6:17
- Bible reading. Neh. 9:1-3
- Weeping. Joel 2:12, Psalm 69:10
- Worship. Neh. 9:1-3
People do abuse fasting. The Bible talks about:
- Hypocritical fasting. Isa. 15, Matt. 15
- Pharisee fasting. Luke 18:11
- Jezebel fasting. 1 Kings 21:9-10
- False-teacher fasting. 1 Tim. 4:1-3
SALIENT POINTS THAT YOU MUST BE CAREFUL TO NOTE
- Long fast needs teaching from those with experience.
- No fasting should go the level of destroying your health.
- During long fasting; the more you talk, the more you waste your energy: talk only when necessary.
- Sickness should not hinder fasting. God can heal any diseases.
- In long dry fast, you must drink water. Prepare by prayer and abstinence must precede fasting.
- Avoid food containing caffeine, coffee, soft drinks, etc when you are about starting a fast.
- Fasting does not change God, fasting changes us.
- It is important for marriage couples to avoid sex during fasting but it must be by mutual agreement. 1 Cor. 7:5
- Fasting should not be turned into entertainment or show off. Matt. 6:19-18
- Many things people call fasting these days does not qualify as fasting;
- abstaining from meat and eating only fish is not fasting,
- abstaining from some food while eating others is not fasting,
- abstaining from certain pleasures while enjoying others is not fasting, etc
- using fasting as sleeping tablet,
- avoiding all aspects of family life,
- walking around in order not to feel hungry,
- keeping very busy in order not to feel hungry,
- keeping watch on the time every time,
- fasting without prayer is hunger strike or starvation,
- Do not wait for emergencies before fasting.
- Living a fasted life is better than doing occasional compacted fasting.
- Corporate fasting is encouraged; it is very powerful when there is corporate fasting.
- Fasting is not a method of obtaining God’s sympathy; you need to repent and wake up
You Need To Repent;
- If you do not fast at all.
- If your fasting is not too frequent.
- Same period of fast as you did last year.
- You are stopping fasting gradually.
- You formerly completed fast but now you cannot.
- You fast but you do not spend quality time with God.
- You sleep mostly during fasting and do very little praying.
- You fast with no burden to discharge, no goal.
- You try to replace repentance with fasting
- Trying to use fasting to look for good body shape
- Trying to use fasting to resolve gluttony.
RESULTS OF FASTING.
- Increased spiritual authority
- Receiving divine affirmation of ministry.
- Obtaining new direction for ministry.
- Gaining insight during Bible Study that becomes foundational truth for ministry.
- An enhanced desire to prayer.
- Affirmation through sense of destiny experiences.
- New power for spiritual warfare.
- Guidance and liberty for workers in ministry
- Victory over satanic strongholds
- Assurance of divine protection
- An increased sense of God’s presence.
- A breaking of attitudes and policies hindering progress in a new ministry.
- Times when prayer becomes enhances as a means of effectively wrestling with issues.
In conclusion, man’s state before the fall is out of the spirit led man.
We should fast scripturally, sensibly, secretly, sensitively, systematically, sacrificially, specifically and supernaturally. And God will help us in the name of Jesus.
God bless you in the Mighty name of Jesus. God bless you in Jesus’ name
- Power to pray and get results, fall upon me, in the name of Jesus.
- Satanic mockers, gathered around my life, scatter, in the name of Jesus.
- Any mouth of the enemy saying it is over for me, shut up, in the name of Jesus.
- O God arise, and let my next breakthrough locate me, in the name of Jesus.
- Witchcraft covens, assigned to scatter my efforts, scatter, in the name of Jesus.
- O God arise, and make me wiser than my enemies, in the name of Jesus.
- Evil hands, pointed at me to destroy my destiny, wither, in the name of Jesus.
- Any spiritual cage, assigned against my star, catch fire, in the name of Jesus.
- Powers, assigned to transfer dead glory to my destiny, die, in the name of Jesus.
- Opportunity wasters, I am not your candidate, die, in the name of Jesus.
- Where is the Lord GOD of Elijah? Arise, and trouble my troublers, in the name of Jesus.
- Every negative prayer, negative vision, negative prophecy against my life, be cancelled, in the name of Jesus.
- Wasters, assigned to dry up good things in my life, die, in the name of Jesus.
- Fingers of darkness, assigned to re-write my destiny, wither, in the name of Jesus.
- My life shall not die in the wilderness, by the power in the Blood of Jesus, in the name of Jesus.
- Wherever the enemy has knocked me down, I arise by your power, in the name of Jesus.
- Any satanic agent, blowing away my harvest, die, in the name of Jesus.
- Every witchcraft inspiration in my family, die, in the name of Jesus.
- Any satanic progress in my life, die, in the name of Jesus.
- Sudden destruction will not be my lot, by the power in the blood of Jesus, in the name of Jesus.
- Any evil river, assigned to drown my life in failure, dry up, in the name of Jesus.
- Any power, that wants me to weep for sorrow, you are a liar, die, in the name of Jesus.
- Wicked powers, assigned to push me backward, your time is up, die, in the name of Jesus.
- Any satanic agent, stealing my garment of glory, I command you to scatter, in the name of Jesus.
- Battles, using the sins of my parents against me, die, in the name of Jesus
Flatimes Notice Board: Until you are born again, God ever abiding presence will never be with you. You must be born again to enjoy continuous victory. Please say the displayed prayer below in faith:
Lord Jesus, come into my life. I accept You as my Lord and Personal Saviour. I believe in my heart You died and rose from the dead to save me. Thank You Lord for saving me, in Jesus name Amen.
If you just prayed the prayer of salvation online please send your testimonies and prayer request to email@example.com, +234 (803) 078-0919 OR +234 (817) 363-1657.